Welcome message from the dean
It is my pleasure to bid you a warm welcome to the Faculty of Community Development and Leadership. Nugaal University is a young, vibrant university and a leader where community development and leadership is concerned.
Studying at NU means being part of a friendly university community comprising lecturers, students, and teaching support and administrative staff. We share a concept of education as a source of opportunities, and the mission of achieving excellence.
We are committed to helping you discover your talents and developing your career prospects from the moment you begin your studies. Nonetheless, doing so will also require effort, patience, dedication and personal sacrifice from you.
What you seek is what we provide. I hope we will be able to deliver more than what you expected.
Dr. Mustafe A Mohamed
Dean, Faculty of Community Development and Leadership
By taking into consideration of high need of higher education in Sool region and neighboring areas, NUGAAL University was established in October 2004.
Through the rich experience gained in the past years in Academic fields, Nugaal University has built its capacity to launch multiple degree programs in selected field of studies, one of which is bachelor degree in Community Development & Leadership andwas launched on 2011.
Therefore needs for Community Development & Leadership in Sool and entire region becomes very important to cover the gaps of the social, economic, political, and physical well-being of the community. And that is why this faculty comes up to fill the problems in the community as whole in the future time.
The purpose of the Community Development and leadership programme is to produce qualified community development practitioners who are equipped with both theoretical knowledge and the practical skills necessary to initiate, implement and manage community development initiatives at all levels.
To produce qualified community development and leadership practitioners who are equipped with both theoretical knowledge and the practical skills necessary to initiate, implement and manage community development initiatives at all levels.
Mission and Core Values
The programme of Community Development and leadership is driven by a sense of responsibility to the development of communities at the local, regional and national level. For this, considerations of race, gender, class and physical ability are central.
- To provide relevant high quality academic knowledge and education in the Social Sciences and Humanities in the fields of leadership and community development as well as other related disciplines.
- To undertake research and study in order to come up with relevant and useful knowledge for the community
- To train and produce graduates with practical leadership, social and scientific skills in order to build capacity tackle the ever changing human & social challenges and challenges such as poverty, illiteracy disease, desertification as well as cultural and social conflicts.
- To improve the curriculum of the faculty and by increasing the number of courses, which are relevant to the country’s contemporary needs
- To participate in community outreach and forging strong linkage with the private sector.
By the end of the four years it is expected that the graduates of this course should be able to;
- Apply the different development, leadership and political theoretical perspectives to their own individual situations, family, community as well the national development environment.
- Appreciate the view that community development is a gradual process that requires total patience and commitment in terms of time, human as well as the physical resources.
- Build strategic leadership skills for effective decision making, strategy development, and implementation
- Develop a personal leadership philosophy and presence that reflects greater knowledge, capabilities, and insight
- Acknowledge the view that development must be contextualized given the fact it takes place in different communities with quite different environments. The philosophy behind this approach is that there are no homogeneous communities hence the idea of homogeneous development should never arise.
- Develop an understanding which views development as a multidimensional concept which considers a human being as a whole as opposed to the traditional understanding of development which views a human being as only an economic being.
The candidates must:
- Complete high school education successfully with average score of at least “C”
- Meet the other set criteria of the Nugaal University to join the program
- Able to pass the entrance exam set by the University
- Have full interest to serve the community
Structure of the program
|Categories||No. of Courses||Credit Hours|
|Major Development Courses||23||69|
|Major Leadership Courses||6||18|
|Course per Semester||6|
- Case study
- Field visit
- Independent study